By Romi Cvitkovic
Roger Federer celebrated his belated 31st birthday at the Beatrice Inn in New York City, mingling with a select group of celebrities, fashion divas and tennis friends. Fashion mogul and long-time personal friend of Federer, Anna Wintour threw an exclusive birthday bash for the tennis king.
Not only was Wintour’s Vogue photographer on hand to capture the evening’s festivities, but fashion designers Vera Wang and Diane von Fürstenberg even live-tweeted some intimate moments!
The full round up of photos is below, but a few things come to attention:
- Aside from Federer’s personal entourage of coaches, Tommy Haas is the only active tennis player invited. No Swiss BFFs Stan and Marco.
- That is A LOT of top fashion divas in one place, ie Anna Wintour, Vera Wang, Diane von Fürstenberg. Did they go in the back after the party and have a walk-off?
- It’s no surprise to see Nicole Kidman and Bradley Cooper at the party as they’re both avid US Open attendees, but did they come together?
- Roger Federer never, I mean never, has a bad hair day. Even on low-quality snapshots his mane looks expertly coifed from any angle.
- Can I get a replica of that incredible cake at my next tennis-themed party?
- Speaking of the cake, the US Open title tally on the front of the cake reminded me that Federer hasn’t won the US Open since … 2008?!
- And the Roland Garros tally – which consists of one lone title — is hidden away on the rear of the cake.
- Last question: how did Karolina Kurkova, a Czech model, get invited? Tennis’ strange connections remain a mystery …
(All uncredited photos via Taylor Jewell for Vogue.com)